What is Shockwave Therapy?
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) is a non-invasive treatment that assists with the body’s natural healing process. It involves sending shockwaves through your skin towards the painful, affected and damaged tissue.
How does it work?
The treatment produces an anti-inflammatory response which increases metabolic and circulatory activity. This stimulates your body’s healing process thereby promoting recovery and remodelling of damaged and dysfunctional tissues.
ESWT aids in the breakdown of scar tissue and calcification and can also stimulate pain relief through neural mechanisms (reduction of nerve signals to the brain).
What are the Benefits?
- Stimulates the body’s natural self-healing process.
- Immediate reduction in pain.
- Increased Range of movement.
- May eliminate the need for surgery.
What conditions can ESWT treat?
Shockwave therapy can be used to treat:
- Tennis elbow.
- Golfers elbow.
- Plantar fasciitis (heel pain).
- Shoulder tendon pain.
- Shin splints.
- Hamstring and patella tendon pain.